Re: Semantics for modification of annotations

Yes, this is a sane approach you are suggesting. You can also associate a
prov:Agent with the :modifying1 activity to say who did the change.

:modifying1 prov:wasAssociatedWith :johndoe .

:johndoe a prov:Person ;
  foaf:name "John Doe" .

The only thing now is that you need to filter for invalidated annotations
as they would still say they annotate a given resource, you can either do
that by moving them to a separate archival graph, or by closing the world
and do a negative filter on prov: invalidated in a Sparql query.

In a distributed system you might end up with a fork, and not know which
revision is the new HEAD so to speak.

You can use pav:hasCurrentVersion from a unversioned generalization of the
annotations if you need to declare the "official latest version". This is
for obvious reason not available in an inverse direction..

http://purl.org/pav/html#http://purl.org/pav/hasCurrentVersion

In PAV we also has pav:previous version as a specialization of
prov:wasRevisonOf.
http://purl.org/pav/html#http://purl.org/pav/previous version

This comes with the transitive super property pav:earlierVersion to find
all the earlier versions, and is also sub property of prov:alternateOf.