Re: Pattern for annotation on regions or objects?

Short and maybe oversimplified:  If both are actually in play, make a
single annotation with two bodies, one for each case.

Longer:

The remarks below are vaguely(?) related to your case, but I've on-and-off
thought of how to integrate OA with the ideas of the Audubon Core (AC) data
model [1] for metadata for biodiversity multimedia, the development of
which I was the group convenor. The relevant AC notion is that the
"serialization" and "acquisition" properties of media---in case there are
any---are separate, albeit sometimes overlapping---from the abstract
properties that describe such things as the content description, the
intellectual property aspects, and a few others. The resource may be
physical, such as a painting, and may have digital renderings for which
there is acquisition data that includes rendering specific properties. AC
has a repeatable predicate  ac:hasServiceAccessPoint that takes a complex
object that describes the attributes of what the access point delivers. I
suppose even a physical work could have a service access point describing,
e.g. how you could go view it in a museum where it is held.  AC has a lot
of content description terminology special to biodiversity media, and it's
not well separated in the model.  However, if we make an RDF form of the
model that is less naive than the not yet submitted [2], I think we would
try to separate the domain terminology specific to AC

Thus my vague point is that a single OA Body could be (like?) an AC object
and carry both the description of the abstraction (i.e. including the
description of every thing that is not special to the rendering) and
description(s) of the digital renderings connected by the
ac:hasServiceAccessPoint.

Bob

[1] http://terms.tdwg.org/wiki/Audubon_Core_Term_List

[2] http://terms.tdwg.org/wiki/Audubon_Core_Term_List_RDF_Version

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No reaction on this?
> I can't really believe this distinction is not relevant to anyone...
>
> Best,
>
> Antoine
>

> On 5/1/14 5:06 PM, Antoine Isaac wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I had an interesting discussion with Jacco on annotating/tagging cultural
>> heritage objects (paintings, sculptures)
>> vs annotating digital representations of them (e.g. the 1200x800 JPG)
>>
>> For the first scenario we are rather clear that the target of the
>> annotation is the object per se, which will be provided with its own
'real
>> object'-identifier, like

http://data.europeana.eu/item/92037/25F9104787668C4B5148BE8E5AB8DBEF5BE5FE03
).

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morris.bob@gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://wiki.filteredpush.org
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or Harvard
University.