Re: Annotation creation and updates

Hmmm.  Come to think of it, consider  parsing in natural English
("subject predicate object"), we would expect that it is not the
Target, but rather the oa:Annotation that is being annotatedAt
2014-02-17T09:46:11EST, . At the very least, to preserve your model
and natural English, the creation predicates would need changing to a
form like the pav:  forms, which suggests that (a)the pav: forms are
enough alone (b) the breadth of the PROV expressiveness is so high
that, has Herbert et al. suggest,  OA could express its use as
connected by a single top-level provenance predicate
("oa:hasProvenance") with rdfs:range in PROV, perhaps along with some
minimal expected prov terms.

None of the above is meant to address your questions about what should
be the nature of update history.  IMO this is a very domain-specific
issue.  For example,  the scientific names of species change over
time, each change associated with a publication.  The order of these
changes and the provenance of citations of them, is very relevant and
,sadly, often impossible to memorialize in one or another relational
database.  Thus  arguably, if a set of annotations is about species,
then having nothing but "original" and "latest" updates to an
annotation might be far from enough.  On the other hand, consider an
annotation of <http://mbta.com/commuterRailLine/Fitchburg#> which has
Body a train schedule object. This might well do with only a
'lastUpdate' attribute.

Bob

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morris.bob@gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://wiki.filteredpush.org
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
Harvard University.