Re: HTML tags, normalizations and text selectors

Thanks David.  Did you have any thoughts on the whitespace issue, which I
think is more contentious?  I recall that we had a conversation about this
issue at the W3C eBook meeting in February.

It might be clearer if the documentation for the Selectors included the
rationale behind them, so that Text*Selector said that it was exclusively
about the content and tries to be format agnostic in order to permit the
same selection (and selector class) to be used in a meaningful way in
multiple situations.

Another example to consider would be markdown or the various wiki syntaxes.
 Should the client should process them into the expected human readable
form before counting the characters, even though the syntax is not strictly
"tags" or "character entities"?  I would say that it should, for example
you wouldn't count "---" as three characters but the same as <hr/>.   There
might be a more understandable, but less prescriptive, way to define the
normalization in those sorts of terms?

Rob