Re: oa:start and end

This was changed from offset and range in the previous version to make it
easier to query, and the same information is (fundamentally) available.
 It's the choice between having to do range=end-start, or end=start+range
in code.

I'm not sure that I follow the concern about counting characters rather
than gaps. Also, RFC5147 uses start and end, not start and range, but
perhaps that's my misunderstanding of your issue?

E.g. one of their examples:

   ftp://example.com/text.txt#line=10,20;length=9876,UTF-8
   As in the second example, this URI identifies lines 11 to 20 of the
   text.txt MIME entity.

Hope that helps,

Rob