Re: New Draft comments: textual bodies

Dear All,

Apologies for my late message...

FWIW, as a former member of the OWL Working Group that drafted OWL2
DL, I would like to make explicit that the only reason why OWL2 does
not allow 'punning' of object and datatype properties is that we did
not have anyone in the WG to champion that type of punning at the
right time. It is the *only* type of punning that is not allowed in
OWL 2 DL, i.e. OWL 2 DL does allow punning of classes and instances.

In retrospect, I think this was a big mistake, and it is one that has
been amended by most if not all serious implementations of OWL2 DL
reasoners (Pellet certainly allows punning of these properties, and
has supported punning of these properties well before the WG even
started). Note: as far as I can remember, there were no technical
reasons against property punning discussed in the WG.

I therefore think it is unwise to decide on a convoluted way of
representing this in OA just because of complying with a 'dead letter'
in the OWL 2 specification.

Best,

Rinke Hoekstra

--
---
Dr Rinke Hoekstra

AI Department         |   Leibniz Center for Law
Faculty of Sciences   |   Faculty of Law
Vrije Universiteit    |   Universiteit van Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1081a    |   Vendelstraat 8 (BG13a)
1081 HV  Amsterdam    |   Postbus 1030
                      |   1000 BA  Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5987752     |   +31-(0)20-5253497
r.j.hoekstra@vu.nl    |   hoekstra@uva.nl

Homepage: http://www.rinkehoekstra.nl