Re: Semantic Tags (was several threads)

On 2/5/13 2:44 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
>>> The last one is compact, does not interfere with other constructs, gives a
>>> little structure without too much commitment, is more declarative.
>>> And I like how it reads for cases in which the URI is actually a page or
>>> HTML document
>>> ex:semtag a oa:SemanticTag ;
>>>    foaf:page<http://omim.org/entry/104760>  .
>> I think so too.
>
> Is the idea that there is a semantic concept, here minted as
> ex:semtag, which happens to have a foaf:page at
> <http://omim.org/entry/104760>  ?  Or is a foaf:page considered
> somewhat 'identifying' for an oa:SemanticTag? (Would it make sense to
> have two distinct SemanticTag's with the same foaf:page?)
>
>  From the text now at
> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/future/core.html#Tagging (which
> reads good, except figure Semantic Tag needs updating for class) is
> that the foaf:page thing is a workaround for semantically tagging with
> concepts which don't have a proper URI yet. Presumably you could still
> use foaf:page for the 'normal' semantic tag as well without changing
> much, ie.
>
> :ann1
>    oa:hasBody<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris>  .
>
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris>  a oa:SemanticTag ;
>      foaf:page<http://dbpedia.org/page/Paris>  ;
>
> (and someone clever could relate this annotation with others which are
> annotating the page)
>

> I think the solution now in the HTML is workable. It is a bit
> confusing because there are three different options, but thinking
> about it now I think the foaf:page indirection is the most appropriate
> for Paolo's use-case rather than hijacking the page URI and declare it
> as some kind of semantic concept.
>
> Perhaps the examples should be a bit clearer about where the actual
> semantic tag URI can be found rather than using the generic<body1>
> URIs:
>
> <anno1>  a oa:Annotation ;
>      oa:motivatedBy oa:tagging ;
>      oa:hasBody<http://example.com/vocab/term1>  ;
>      oa:hasTarget<target1>  ;
>
>    <http://example.com/vocab/term1>  a oa:SemanticTag .
>    <target1>  a dctypes:Image .
>

> (As almost always the terms would come from a different namespace)
>

>> For example, would clients be confused if they saw an Annotation that
>> targeted a resource, say the dbpedia URI for Paris, and the RDF
>> claimed that Paris was of class oa:SemanticTag ?  I think this
>> actually *helps*, as the client would know not to dereference the URI
>> looking for a document.  But perhaps we could have a better name for
>> the class?
>
> what we are talking about now sounds like a perfect fit for
> skos:Concept - perhaps we should make oa:SemanticTag also subclass
> skos:Concept (or use skos:Concept alone - but that might raise similar
> in-from-the-outside concerns like my cnt:chars concerns, although here
> it should be OK).
>
> Forcing skos:Concept might have bigger impact than oa:SemanticTag
> [...]

Hi Stian,

You're right, there's formally nothing that prevents skos:Concept to be used as type for other resources.
But many people have expressed discomfort with this, as skos:Concepts are typically quite specific intellectual/informational artifacts, intuitively quite distinct from, say, persons.
(note that Property foaf:focus has been - among others - minted to allow one to mint the 'concept of an entity from the real world' (e.g., a person) and relate it to the resource that stands for that entity of the real world, avoiding to conflate them in one resource)

Declaring oa:SemanticTag a sub-class of skos:Concept ultimately depends on how much this group feels comfortable with what the SKOS group called 'crossing the streams'.

Cheers,

Antoine