Re: OA and provenance

On 14-08-13 16:00, Paolo Ciccarese wrote:
> I would like to keep track of:
> - the agent that creates the OA annotation
> - the application the agent used to create the annotation (could be
> different than the application that serialized the annotation)
> - the author of the body of the annotation (third party)
> - the author of the original association of the annotation with the
> original text

Paolo,

In the cultural heritage I've seen cases that are similar but not
exactly like your use case.  Two observations might be useful:

1. Sometimes two agents work on the same artifact but have a different
role in its creation, e.g. the author versus the publisher of a book, or
the artist versus the printer of a graphical print. In these cases it is
common to model the different roles explicitly, along with the dates,
places etc that are associated with the different roles. You can have
the same situation with annotations, and I think you can achieve all of
this with subclasses/subproperties in OA.  The special semantics of the
roles, however, might get lost if the data was processed by a general OA
application.

2. Sometimes there are really two annotations, one annotating the work
and a second annotating the first annotation.  We use this, for example,
to model annotations that arise when one agent is tagging or rating the
annotation of another agent. So in your case you could have one
annotation modeling the orginal annotation and one annotation modeling
the things you wanted to say about the creation process of digitizing
the first annotation. Again, OA allows annotations to be the target of
other annotations, so there is no problem there, while it remains
questionable how other OA applications would treat them.

Hope this helps,

Jacco