Re: Sanity check Re: F2F Decision: Multiple Resources

Hi Bob,

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following Rob's posting of Oct 1, 2012 [1]  explaining  the Chicago
> F2F meeting  decision about Multiple Resources, I ask whether the
> models I have below are correct and appropriate for the following use
> case: We want to annotate several SpecificResources

This is the key statement, which I'll come back to.

> In the pre-Multiple Resources days, OA permitted multiple targets but
> only one body, so for the use case one could write [...]
> In this case it was (implicit? explicit?) that <theBody> applied to
> all the Targets.

The problem was that it wasn't even implicit as to how the body
resource applied to the targets!  That was why it was so important
that it be fixed.

> Post the F2F decision,  I can see (at least) two solutions, depending
> on whether one models with an oa:Set of SpecificTargets each with its
> own Selector, or a single SpecificTarget   with an oa:Set of
> Selectors.

A Set of SpecificTargets means that the Body applies to all of the
targets, and no longer applies when you take one of them away.  I
don't think that's what you want, but I'm not sure.

I think you mean the body to apply to each of the targets
individually, and if one of them were to be taken away, then it would
still apply to the rest of them.  It's essentially the same as having
multiple annotations, all with the same body and one of the targets.
To do this, you'd simply have multiple targets just as in the current draft.

A Set of Selectors means that ALL of the selectors are applied to the
source and the order in which they're applied is not important.  For
example to select an area of a video within a certain time frame, it
doesn't matter if you select the area first and then the time, or the
time frame first and then the area, you get the right answer.
So you would apply all of the selectors in any order, with selectors
taking the output of the previous one as input.  Given your
description this is certainly not what you want!

This is the (crucial) difference between a set as object of the
hasTarget predicate and as the object of the hasSelector predicate.

Hope that helps!

Rob