Re: URI fragments

From: Nick White <nick.white@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:52:35 +0100
To: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Cc: Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com>, public-openannotation@w3.org
Thank you so much Robert and Paolo for your detailed explanation. I
understand your reasoning much better now, and indeed agree with it.
The extensibility that comes with using selectors makes a lot of
sense in the RDF world. There is of course an increased risk of
fragmentation, but hopefully encouraging different projects to use
the same selector types shouldn't be too difficult.

I know with TEI, the promise of everybody encoding things the same
way is dampened by the fact that everybody can and does use
different parts of the standard to encode things. That will always
be a problem in trying to represent knowledge in a form like this,
but it's a worthwhile endeavour nonetheless.

Thanks again for helping me to understand, I look forward to using
OA in the future. I'm hoping to use it to encode some apparatus
criticii of classical texts, as the RDF model fits much better than
an XML based approach (and besides RDF is more fun.) If anybody is
aware of anybody interested in similar things, let me know; I'm in
the very early stages of figuring out how it should all work.

Nick