URI fragments

From: Nick White <nick.white@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 12:00:38 +0100
To: public-openannotation@w3.org
Hi,

I am very interested in the work OpenAnnotation is doing. It looks
like it could be very useful indeed.

In reading the spec, section 5.2.1 "Fragment Selector"
<http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/#SelectorFragment>, it
recommends against using fragment URIs to identify segments.

I don't really understand the rationale for this. The language
used in the spec is not easy for me to follow. Please could somebody
clarify the reasons for me?

It seems to me (in my ignorance, no doubt) that standard URI
fragment selectors are an obvious and good choice. I was planning to
use RFC5147 to refer to sections of text, which is a nice, simple
way of doing so. It's basic, but fine for my needs, and being human-
readable and easily usable in other contexts has its advantages.

Thanks for any guidance, and I look forward to exploring
OpenAnnotation more.

Nick White