Re: F2F Decision: Sub-classing

From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 11:11:34 -0600
To: Jacob Jett <jgjett@gmail.com>
Cc: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>, public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
Hi Jacob,

The issue with typing the body is that it's the role of the body within the
particular annotation, rather than something universal.  Motivation, and
previously subclassing, to me is a stand in for:

_:x a CommentingRole ;
  hasResource Body ;
  hasAnnotation Annotation .

It could be thought of as the relationship between Bodies and Targets, that
is in essence being reified by the Annotation. Eg:
(every) Body CommentsOn (every) Target.

But we want to say more about the CommentsOn, and thus it must be a
resource rather than a relationship. (Plus the possibility of no body,
multiple bodies and targets, etc)

Which isn't to say that I want to go back to subclassing the Annotation,
just that we need to be careful with both motivating (ha!) the choice for
oa:Motivation over subclassing, and we need to be explicit as to different
options to ensure some degree of interoperability.

Rob

(A thought:  Open World = OW.  Maybe: Open Universe as Context Hypothesis =
OUCH)