Re: F2F Decision: Provenance

On 02/11/2012 15:24, Robert Sanderson wrote:
> I agree that prov:alternativeOf is slightly broader than our use case for
> oa:equivalent, but I'm not (yet) convinced that we need to revert to our
> own specialization.

A fair point I think.  Maybe (see below).  (flip flop? what, me? :) )

> Is there a situation in which someone would want to use prov:alternateOf
> and it would NOT be consistent with what we want to use it for? If not,
> then I would definitely prefer to keep it.  If yes, then let's create a
> specialization.

That's a reasonable question.  But if the answer is yes, I don't think a
subproperty works either.

Another is:  is there a situation in which one would want to distinguish between
the broader meaning of prov:alternativeOf and the tighter meaning of
oa:equivalent.  E.g., there might be useful inferences from the latter that are
not supported by the former.  If yes, a subproperty might be desirable.

> The semantics, in my opinion, are derived from the decision to conflate
> Annotation as a concept and the Document that encodes it.  Thus two
> annotation documents are the equivalent if they encode the same conceptual
> annotation, potentially with different metadata and necessarily with a
> different URI.

Hmmm... sounds to me a bit like a lack of clarity over use and mention?  It
sounds as if oa:equivalent is a relation between *mentions* of some common
assertion.  I'm not sure that properly qualifies as a prov:alternativeOf.  I'm
not sure about this, but I'm having a hard time seeing a mention of some
assertion being a constrained form of something that is common to all such mentions.

(If an infinite number of monkeys were to produce a script for Hamlet, would
that be a specialization of something in common with Shakespear's version of same?)

#g