Re: F2F Decision: Provenance

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>wrote:

> I agree that prov:alternativeOf is slightly broader than our use case for
> oa:equivalent, but I'm not (yet) convinced that we need to revert to our
> own specialization.
>
> Is there a situation in which someone would want to use prov:alternateOf
> and it would NOT be consistent with what we want to use it for? If not,
> then I would definitely prefer to keep it.  If yes, then let's create a
> specialization.

Good question. I am not completely sure. I could come up with examples but
I am not sure if they translate to real use cases or of they are just
products of my twisted engineer mindset.

For example.

Annotation1 is a note "the subject of the picture is Paolo Ciccarese"
Annotation2 is the same note republished by a different provider
Annotation3 is a semantic tag http://www.hcklab.org/foaf.rdf#me

Annotation1 oa:equivalentTo Annotation2
Annotation1 prov:alternateOf Annotation3

And also, is a translation a prov:alternateOf?
Annotation4 is a note "Parlamento"
Annotation5 is a note "Parliament"
Annotation4 and Annotation5 have different provenance.

is Annotation4 prov:alternateOf  Annotation5?

In my mind oa:equivalentTo is much more constrained than prov:alternateOf

Paolo

--
Dr. Paolo Ciccarese
http://www.paolociccarese.info/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the addressee(s),
may contain information that is considered
to be sensitive or confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to
any other party without the permission of the sender.
immediately.