Re: Structured Body: help

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Regarding the Structured Body
>> (http://www.openannotation.org/spec/extension/#StructuredBody): it seems a
>> very strange approach to me.
> There hasn't been an online discussion about it, though it was
> discussed at a face to face meeting in Boston in March.

I agree, it is a strange approach, as it will be very difficult to
determine where the annotation starts and where it stops.

I can see a few use cases, for instance if there is a single resource
per oa:Annotation, where you could say that "anything else" is part of
the struct - but what if there is such a struct on both the body and
the target, which meet up at several places? What if a node in the
<Struct> bit meets up with another bit of the annotation, like an
oa:State?

Ignoring the spec of 4.3, if I encountered the example shown there, I
would interpret it that only <Struct1> was the body. If <Struct1> is a
BNode, then it is <Struct1> and its immediate relations that is the
body - but not X--b-->Z or X--b-->Y, and not even X. The rest is just
arbitrary information that has been added to this graph - just like
arbitrary properties attached to the oa:Annotation.

I would propose to drop 4.3 - simply because people would try to do it
(and get it wrong) rather than learn about named graphs and multiple
resources.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science