Re: Associating context with an annotation

From: James Smith <jgsmith@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:11:58 -0400
Cc: Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com>, Sebastian Hellmann <hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
To: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>

On Aug 17, 2012, at 2:07 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps some of the confusion and scope creep comes from the ambiguity of "context" ?
> Could we think of a better term that's more explicit about the issue that we're trying to solve?

Definitely agreed.

> For example:
>
> embeddedIn
> containedIn
> hasContainer
> usedIn
> hasScope    (my preferred so far)

hasScope seems like a good candidate to me. Other candidates might be "referencedBy" or "asReferencedBy".

The problem with "embedded," "contained," or "Container" is that the things we're talking about aren't embedded or contained inside a resource. They are their own resources referenced by other resources.

-- Jim