Re: Associating context with an annotation

From: James Smith <jgsmith@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:57:49 -0400
Cc: Sebastian Hellmann <hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
To: Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com>

On Aug 17, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com> wrote:

> In OA the first part - selection and the context have the same format - is covered by the SpecificResource. When you have a fragment of a text or a video you always have a pointer to the whole document/resource. Did I miss something there?

oax:hasContext isn't trying to select a part of a target for annotation. It's trying to say that a particular annotation makes the most sense when considered with the additional context provided by the oax:hasContext information.

> I could annotate a fragment of the video with a comment saying 'it is not consistent with the text of the blogpost'. This annotation is targeting a video fragment and the context is the document of the blogpost. In science we have plenty of similar examples for images/figures. I agree though that the example could be more explicit by elicitating that hasContext more by creating a more detailed annotation explicitly targeting the fragment of the video and the fragment of the page. However, the latter requires lots of work more that not all application/users are willing to perform.

I've added example (3) to the Option 1 section showing how I would model an annotation of part of a video and provide the context of the web page that the video was on when I made the annotation (and presumably that web page should be consulted to find the full meaning of the annotation).

-- Jim