Re: oa:equivalent not yet in core-schema.xml

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:26:51 +0100
To: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Cc: Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com>, public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure *how* it would be modeled though.
>
> A suggestion was raised to get rid of equivalent and recommend either
> skos:exactMatch or skos:closeMatch.  How do people feel about these
> three options?

+1 to avoid yet another equivalence notion!

However, what do we need it for? For mirroring annotations?

I would question whether such annotations are equivalent or even close
match - because it could have later change upstream or even where it
is now.

It is more like it has been derived? I would use prov:wasQuotedFrom
from PROV-O (it's like a full quote), combined with prov:alternateOf
to show that they were somewhat interchangeable at the time.

In PAV we have pav:retrievedFrom (with pav:retrievedOn and
pav:retrievedBy for details about when it was retrieved, by who)

    <!-- http://purl.org/pav/retrievedFrom -->

> The URI where a resource has been retrieved from.
> Retrieval indicates that this resource has the same representation as the original resource. If the resource has been somewhat transformed, use pav:importedFrom instead.
> The time of the retrieval should be indicated using pav:retrievedOn. The agent may be indicated with pav:retrievedBy.

which sounds like a perfect fit for this purpose.  It is quite more specific.

I've not yet gone through PAV to make it subclass/property PROV, but
that should be doable. (although property chains might be needed for
some of them!)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science