Re: New Editors Draft of Modelling Opportunity Data Specification

Hi Kim,

On 28 March 2017 at 13:24, K Lillie <K.Lillie@lrsport.org> wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks for this Leigh, looks really good.

Thanks, I think things are coming together nicely.

> A couple of things we've noticed if you could provide some further info?:
>
> - we can see recurring events in there, that's good. Does this also
> support irregular re-occurrences, i.e. term times which are irregular and
> change annually, iCal format probably does already

The proposal at
https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1457#issuecomment-286423792
has the full details. It's not a full iCal implementation as there's a lot
to cover there.

There are some examples at that URL, but the spec covers things like:

* daily, weekly, monthly events
* events that occur every X days, weeks, etc
* exclusions, e.g. bank holidays

But it doesn't cover more irregular activities. If you had events that were
running during a term, e.g. a weekly session during the Spring term, then
you could define an event schedule to have a start & end date that
corresponds with the term and then a schedule within that.

Might be helpful if you have a specific example(s) we can work through?

> - Event suitability appears​ to be fairly open ended, e.g. if you wanted
> to filter by age over 12s, in theory all of these would match: over 12, 12
> and over, under 18s, 14-16.

At the last call we decided to use ranges for ages (and heights/weights).
It makes the age ranges more explicit than broader categories. It's
possible to express all of the above as an ageRange in the specification.
It would be up to an application using that data to interpret that in a way
that's useful to a user.

> - Is the weight in a specific unit, is there a standard here?

Yes, I plumbed for metric for all values, so kgs. It's noted here:
https://www.openactive.io/ns/#weightRange

Cheers,

L.