Re: Moving Modelling Opportunity data to Final Specification - a request

Leigh,

thank you for all your work so far and patience. I am content to proceed to
"Final Specification" status subject to changes already detailed above.

Nick

Nick

Open Data

Data Strategy and Governance, Government Digital Service

E: nick.halliday@digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk

M: 07827 992827

On 14 July 2017 at 16:08, Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@theodi.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Rationalle
>>
>>    1. As an observation: implementations to date have touched all parts
>>    of the spec except for heightRange and weightRange.
>>    2. We have yet to come across an opportunity data source that contain
>>    this data
>>    3. In the interests of keeping the specification minimal and without
>>    these properties having been tested in the wild, should they be removed or
>>    demoted?
>>    4. Potential issues <https://github.com/openactive/ns-beta/issues/3>
>>    we've found with distance (regarding consistency of min and max values with
>>    schema.org) may also apply here, though we won't know until they are
>>    tested more thoroughly
>>
>> Recommendation
>>
>>    1. Move heightRange and weightRange into the beta namespace, and then
>>    consider them for inclusion in the spec after they have been road-tested
>>    more thoroughly.
>>

>> There are a few other minor suggestions, but these are generally typos
>> etc, and I have raised these as issues
>> <https://github.com/openactive/modelling-opportunity-data/issues>
>> instead of detailing them here.
>>
>> Hope this helps! Really excited to see this published, as it's such a
>> great step forward for the sector!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@theodi.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As discussed in our recent calls I'm keen to move the Modelling
>>> Opportunity Data spec [1] and vocabulary [2] to "Final Specification"
>>> status at the W3C.
>>>
>>> I believe the specification is now stable and has been successfully
>>> implemented by a number of publishers. We can continue to improve it
>>> further but I'd like to reach this milestone before moving on to further
>>> work.
>>>
>>> The only area that may need some updates is around the handling of
>>> recurring events. We have been in discussion with Schema.org for some time,
>>> about a proposed set of changes [2] to cover this use case. I've been
>>> waiting on approval for that proposal before moving forward.
>>>
>>> However, if that doesn't move ahead shortly, then we'll need to revise
>>> our specifications to define the relevant properties. These will be minor
>>> changes to just document the properties that we're already recommending
>>> people use [4].
>>>
>>> The W3C process for publication is quite straight-forward. However I
>>> believe I need to be able to demonstrate that the community is happy with
>>> the deliverables and is ready to move forward for publication.
>>>
>>> Can I ask that if you're happy with the specifications moving to "Final
>>> Specification" status, pending resolution of the above issue, that you
>>>
>>> Having the approval on a public list will help demonstrate support.
>>>
>>> Similarly, if you have concerns or questions, then please share them
>>> with the group so we can work through them.

>>> [2]. https://www.openactive.io/ns/
>>> [3]. https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1457#issuecomm
>>> ent-314039005
>>> [4]. https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1457#issu