Re: Modelling relationship between lexical entries and spatial regions

Dear Nicola,

You can include information about a specific region, script or variant
using language tags and subtags [1, 2, 3] with the ontolex:writtenRep. In
that respect, the OntoLex Spec provides more links in this part:

*Furthermore, we require that instances of the model adhere to the RDF 1.1
specification <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/> and follow the
appropriate guidelines. In particular, we require that language tags adhere
to Best Common Practice 47 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt>,
where tags are made up of a language code (based on ISO 639 codes part 1,
2, 3 or 5 <http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/language_codes.htm>),
optionally followed by a hyphen and a ISO 3166-1
<http://www.iso.org/iso/iso-3166-1_decoding_table.html> country code.
Language tags may also contain further subtags
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry>
expressing e.g. the region, script or further variants.*

In the Lexicography page [4] (Issue 5) we discussed that ontolex:usage
could be applied to cases in which you want to specify that *a sense* of an
entry is attested in (only) a particular region. Another option is the use
of lexvo:usedIn (with range lexvo:GeographicRegion) [5], but the property
is described as *The property of a language or writing system* [emphasis
added] *being used somewhat extensively in a particular geographical region
at some point in time* (although the domain is not restricted). In our work
with K Dictionaries in 2016 [6] we decided to create a custom property
kd:geographicalUsage for this, but I would say that opting for the language
tag option, whenever possible, would be preferable.

Hope this helps :)

Best,

Julia

[1] https://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/
[2] https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-choosing-language-tags
[3]
https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry
[4] https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Lexicography
[5] http://lexvo.org/ontology
[6] Bosque-Gil, Julia, et al. “Modelling multilingual lexicographic
resources for the Web of Data: The K Dictionaries case.” GLOBALEX 2016
Lexicographic Resources for Human Language Technology Workshop Programme.
2016.

--

Julia Bosque Gil
PhD Student