Re: morph module telco today

Dear Fahad,

thanks a lot for this update. In fact, it ties in quite neatly with other
approaches on parsing with SWRL/RIF, e.g., Graham Wilcock HPSG parser. On
the other hand, we should keep in mind that Wilcock basically failed (not
in terms of expressivity or performance, but in terms of adaptation by the
community) and he himself thus abandoned the idea. So, while we *should*
mention that rules can be implemented in this way (in terms or SW
technology, this is the "right" way of implementing rules), I don't think
we should prescribe SWRL nor RIF.

This is for two reasons:

On a technological level, RIF is a high-level technology, operating on top
of OWL, so its proper handling requires a lot of expertise by the user and
is technically demanding. I'm not sure about the popularity of either RIF
or OWL beyond the core Semantic Web community anymore, whereas plain RDF
is relatively widely used.

On a conceptual level, the dominating paradigm in morphology generation
are finite state transducers, and these can be reduced to regular
expressions, and as we have native support for regex in SPARQL Update,
SWRL and most programming languages, this would be more generic and come
with a lower entry barrier. But then, regular expressions must also not be
the only way to populate a paradigm (resp., a particular inflection type),
as many lexicographers and linguists will find this too technical and
prefer to provide representative examples rather than concrete rules --
and our modelling should cover both uses.

Just my 2ct,
Christian

PS: I see drawbacks of the regex idea, too, in particular in that it is
string-based rather than concept-based.

PPS: A compromise could be to use the swrlb:replace to write
transformation rules with regular expressions. However, the SWRL
serialization in Turtle is close to a nightmare (because its bindings are
internally represented by lists), and we should probably use TTL for
illustrative examples. I doubt we could convincingly sell this to anyone.