Re: Call on the 10th of October, 14:00 CEST

Dear Tom,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Let me comment on a couple of points you
raised:

* about context, sense-ordering, and examples

> In the future, where a electronic personal assistant holds a conversation
with the user,
> the context is known and should re-prioritize word choices and samples,
even withhold
> dictionary entries that are clearly not in context.
> The computers can do that, I would not spend much time on in what
sequence the
> entries should be displayed/stored. If any, I would focus on the ability
of the computer
> to select based on context.

In my view, this translates into a model that supports ANY order criteria,
being agnostic of the particular sequence in which the entries should be
displayed/stored, which is left to the dictionary creator's choice or to a
NLP service that dynamically assigns it according to the context. In
principle we should focus on the modelling side (which will be discussed in
issue 6).

* about provenance

> What I think is important is that the sources of the dictionary entries
are tracked,
> in order to track back where entries came from, until they are confirmed
from
> several reputable sources.

There are "standard" metadata vocabularies (PROV-O, DC-Terms) that support
provenance description. I do not think that more extra properties are
needed in the case of dictionaries. However I think it might be useful to
describe a new issue or "best practice" to clarify how to do that.

Best,

Jorge

--
Jorge Gracia, PhD