Re: ontolex.owl

Aldo,

  you mean remove the import from the owl file by deleting the import
text or deleting the import in Protégé?

I do not know how to define the entries from the external ontology as
new entities with their URIs, but I will try out and let you know ;-)

In any case, we seem all to agree on the strategy, but the
implementation is still unclear, which is good.

Stay tuned.

Philipp.

Am 08.07.14 13:38, schrieb Aldo Gangemi:
> A couple of possibilities:
>
> 1) (simpler) import the ontology, create the links, then remove the
> import ;)
> 2) (more accurate) define the entities from the external ontology as
> new entities with their URIs, then create the links
>
> (1) is very quick, but the entities that remain “orphan” after the
> import removal are not typed.
>
> Aldo
>
> On Jul 8, 2014, at 1:28:02 PM , Philipp Cimiano
> <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
> <mailto:cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>> wrote:
>
>> OK, the thing is: I am working with Protegé and I do not know how to
>> create a subclass axiom without importing the ontology.
>>
>> If somene can help and remove the import but keeping the owl subclass
>> axioms linking to semiotics.owl, then this would be the perfect
>> solution I think.
>>
>> Any volunteers? You can directly change the ontology in bitbucket and
>> create a merge request.
>>
>> Philipp.
>>
>> Am 06.07.14 21:49, schrieb Armando Stellato:
>>> Well, you can “mention” resources from another ontology, without
>>> having to owl:import it (write an owl:import statement between your
>>> vocabulary and the target one). This is mostly suggested when your
>>> ontology A is “connected” to another one B but does not strictly
>>> need B for computing the inferences which are inherent to its (of A)
>>> model.
>>> With an owl:import, any tool  which performs automatic transitive
>>> closure of owl:imports, will download all of the target ontologies
>>> of the owl:imports and in turn, of their owl:imported ontologies.
>>> Not using it, prevents this from happen (though a user is always
>>> free to import ontologies of other mentioned resources manually).
>>> In our case, if we put links to semiotics.owl in a dedicated module,
>>> then I would say it is not a problem to use an owl:import, because
>>> if you use that module, then you are explicitly willing to use
>>> semiotics.owl. If links are reported in the core module, then
>>> totally agree with John.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Armando