Re: telco this Friday

Le 30/01/2014 09:18, Felix Sasaki a écrit :
> Hi Gil, all,
>
> Am 30.01.14 09:12, schrieb Gil Francopoulo:
>> Dear Philip and Lars,
>>
>> I agree with Lars.
>>
>> I suggest to take a look (and follow) IETF BCP 47 in the examples
>
> +1.
>
>> , where:
>>
>> * a language code is never in upper-case but in lower-case,
>
> both would be fine according to BCP 47 - it is case insensitive.
>
>> * a country code is always in upper-case and respects ISO-3166-1
>
> see above.

ok, but in the ISO lists, language codes are always lower-case and
country codes are always upper-case.

And in http://tools.ietf.org/search/bcp47, section 2.1.1

The ABNF syntax also does not distinguish between upper- and
    lowercase: the uppercase US-ASCII letters in the range 'A' through
    'Z' are always considered equivalent and mapped directly to their US-
    ASCII lowercase equivalents in the range 'a' through 'z'.  So the tag
    "I-AMI" is considered equivalent to that value "i-ami" in the
    'irregular' production.

    Although case distinctions do not carry meaning in language tags,
    consistent formatting and presentation of language tags will aid
    users.  The format of subtags in the registry is RECOMMENDED as the
    form to use in language tags.  This format generally corresponds to
    the common conventions for the various ISO standards from which the
    subtags are derived.

    These conventions include:

    o  [ISO639-1  <http://tools.ietf.org/search/bcp47#ref-ISO639-1>] recommends that language codes be written in lowercase
       ('mn' Mongolian).

    o  [ISO15924  <http://tools.ietf.org/search/bcp47#ref-ISO15924>] recommends that script codes use lowercase with the
       initial letter capitalized ('Cyrl' Cyrillic).

    o  [ISO3166-1  <http://tools.ietf.org/search/bcp47#ref-ISO3166-1>] recommends that country codes be capitalized ('MN'
       Mongolia).

>> * this is to allow combination like eng (when any detail is not
>> needed) but permits precisions like eng-US or eng-UK.
>
> eng-US is not a bcp 47 language tag, since bcp47 requires the use of a
> two letter code if available , see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47#section-2.2.1
> " When languages have both an ISO 639-1 two-character code and a three-
>    character code (assigned by ISO 639-2, ISO 639-3, or ISO 639-5), only
>    the ISO 639-1 two-character code is defined in the IANA registry."

You are right.
Gil