Re: Summary of Telco 07.02.2014

Dear Gilles,

yes you are right. I understand that this might negatively affect the
usability of the model. And I am fully aware that people might use it
sloppily, actually without to many unwanted implications as long as you
do not use an OWL reasoner ;-)

The alternative would be to give up the distinction between
semantics-preserving interlingual variants (translation) and
non-semantics-preserving interlingual variants (cultural equivalents),
or call them differently and make translation the superclass.

Any opinions on this? I tend to see "translation" indeed as
semantics-preserving, but this is only a gut feeling and not well-founded.

Another issue: we discussed having a third type of Interlingual variant,
something like a "cross-lingual paraphrase" class for the case in which
"paella" is paraphrased in English as "typical rice dish from Spanish
origin".

Elena: I think this is what you had in mind, right?

Regards,

Philipp.