Re: Summary of Telco 07.02.2014

Hi Elena,

see below

Am 13.02.14 13:13, schrieb Elena Montiel Ponsoda:
> Dear Philipp,
>
> Thanks for the updates.
> I have direclty modified the text in the specification (maybe I should
> not?), but we can still reconsider this...
> On the one hand, I thought it is important to specify already at the
> introduction that there is one type of variation that is established
> between LexicalEntries (i.e., define LexicalVariants), how do you see it?

Yes fine, I should remove the restriction from Variants that requires
LexicalSense, I will do it now.
> On the other, I was not so happy with the "terminology" used when
> dealing with cross-lingual variants, specifically when stating that
> Translations are literal translations...
Fair enough, if the idea is removing "literal" I am agnostic ;-)

> From the Translation discipline perspective, this would be
> problematic, IMHO.
>
>   * I think we should refer to them as Translations or Interlingual
>     variants (in general). That is what people interested in
>     multilinguality will be looking for, I think. If you think that
>     the MultiWordNet community would be happier with Inter-lingual
>     variant is fine, but the translation or terminology community will
>     be looking for "translation". Would it be feasible to keep both
>     denominations? Since this is a lexicon model (for ontologies, of
>     course, but still we are at the lexical level), I would be
>     inclined to think that the most appropriate term is translation,
>     but I am open to change my mind... :)

OK, so why not having "InterlingualVariant" as a subClass of
"TermVariant" (instead of TerminologyVariant) and then
Translation and CulturalEquivalent and "CulturalParaphase" as subclasses
of InterlingualVariant.

Would that be appropriate?

>   * As for the types of translation we may account for, I would talk
>     of "equivalents", but not identify "translations" exclusivly and
>     explicitly with "literal translations". I was trying to make this
>     clear during out last telco, but maybe I failed... :) That is why
>     I was proposing direct equivalents, to distinguish them from
>     cultural equivalents.

Fair enough, if you are arguing for dropping the "literal" I am fine.