Re: SKOS compatibility

Hi Armando,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Armando Stellato <stellato@info.uniroma2.it
> wrote:

> Dear John,****
>
> ** **
>
> thanks for the proposal. I’ll go directly to the second point:****
>
> ** **
>
> so, I proposed this too in my reply to Philipp, and following what has
> been discussed:****
>
> ** **
>
> **1)      **We cannot directly have skosxl:[pref|alt|hidden]Label be
> subproperty of denotes^-1, because while we would probably like to see them
> pointing to LexicalEntries…****
>
> **2)      **…the class-correspondence should be: LexicalForm subclassOf
> skosxl:Label****
>
> ** **
>
> Would you then consider having something like:****
>
> ** **
>
> SubObjectPropertyOf( ****
>
>    ObjectPropertyChain( ontolex:preferredEntry ontolex:canonicalForm ) ***
> *
>
>    skosxl:prefLabel ****
>
>  )****
>
> ** **
>
> ?****
>
> ** **
>
> Now, one question: if I remember correctly, it has been mentioned that one
> problem in having ontolex:LexicalForm subclassOf skosxl:Label is that
> skosxl:literalForm is functional while ontolex:writtenRep is not. But it’s
> not clear to me (probably due to lack of examples or simply less discussion
> on the LexicalEntry/LexicalForm roles) while writtenRep should not be
> functional as well. I’ve got that the multitude of entries describing a
> ontology entity can be reached through different LexicalEntries (clear for
> everybody I think), and the multitude of tenses/morphologies etc.. can be
> obtained by different LexicalForms attached to a LexicalEntry. So far, so
> good (if I’m not missing anything), but then I suppose the LexicalForm
> should have really one and only one lexical representation too (thus
> functional too). Could you, in negative case, post me one example?

The issue is one of orthographic representations, that is spelling variants
between languages (e.g., theatre and theater) but more particularly also
the issue of pronunciation guides such as /ˈθiːətə(ɹ)/.

More particularly the mapping should be to lexical entries, I believe,
because they represent the core element of the OntoLex model, so it seems
natural to link there. This means of course that the properties I propose
do not give a one-to-one correspondence between SKOS and OntoLex but
instead that they give a good guideline for how people can fix up their
SKOS(-XL) model to be linguistically sound

Regards,
John