Re: semiotics.owl

Hi,

My understanding of Sinn and Bedeutung in relation to logical theorems is
that the terms of the formula are extensional and that the predicates are
intensional. In the context of OWL this would mean that classes and
properties are intensional and that individuals are extensional. In
particular I think this correlates with the difference that it is
informative to say

dbpedia:Influenza owl:sameAs icd:J10

But the use of owl:equivalentClass and owl:equivalentProperty are instead
to give definitions:

lexinfo:TransitiveFrame owl:equivalentClass [ ∃ subject.Argument ∏ ∃
directObject.Argument ]

Furthermore, classes are clearly more Sinn than Bedeutung as it is possible
to define an OWL class with no extension (i.e., that is equivalent to ⊥)

However it is quite justified to assume that all OWL classes are in fact
extensions over the set of OWL individuals, and perhaps this is the better
consensus understanding.

Firstly, can I be clear that what we refer to a sense in OntoLex has
generally not been 'Sinn' but as in the sense of WordNet, LMF, etc. as "a *
lexical* sense is all usages of a given word to express a concept". This is
clearly extensional and lexical.

To clarify this, in the sentence:

    "The internet is full of pictures of *cats*"

'cats' is in the extension of the lexical form for the plural of the lexeme
'cat'
'cats' is in the extension of the lexical entry for the lexeme 'cat'
'cats' is in the extension of the lexical sense for the usage of the lexeme
'cat' to refer to/express the species *felis catus*

That is the extension of a lexical sense is a set of words. The primary
reason for making this distinction is to allow for different levels of
annotations:

number=plural is a property of the lexical form 'cats'
partOfSpeech=noun is a property of the lexical entry 'cat'
register=neutral is a property of the lexical sense 'cat'/*felis catus*
*
*
>From this understanding I would conclude that in Aldo's model Lexical Form,
Entry *and* Sense are all in fact Expressions.
*
*
Returning to Sinn and Bedeutung, it seems clear that we could model
difference as link between the lexical sense and the ontology by means of
the following triangle

<cat> a ontolex:LexicalEntry ;
   ontolex:sense <cat::01> .

<cat::01> a ontolex:LexicalSense ;
   ontolex:expresses <Cat> ;
   ontolex:reference <FelisCatus> . % or ontolex:denotes

<Cat> a ontolex:Meaning % subclassOf skos:Concept ;
   ontolex:conceptualizes <FelisCatus> .

<FelisCatus> a owl:Class .

This introduces a new meaning class for the intension of Cat distinct from
the extensional (ontological) definition. Does this seem reasonable?

Regards,
John