Re: WordNet modelling in Lemon and SKOS

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Elena Montiel Ponsoda <
elemontiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> thanks for this. I have some doubts/questions regarding this example that
> may be due to the fact that I have missed some telcos.
> If that is the case, my apologies.
>
> Are there no mechanisims in lemon to say that catted is the past
> participle form of "to cat", and cating is the gerund form. I think that
> the use of canonical form vs. other form is well suited for nouns, but
> somehow strange for verbs, what do you think?

Yes, there are but WordNet itself does not distinguish between these forms.
I don't really see why it is different for verbs as opposed to nouns
though.

> Regarding the use of skos, if I understand it correctly, it is intended to
> represent the lexical relations in Wordnet, right? For example, the
> hypernonymy-hyponymy relation would correspond to the skos:broader or
> skos:narrower relations. Is that so? In this way, skos would be used for
> the conceptual part, I mean, for transforming the lexical relations into
> ontological relations?

Yeah, WordNet synsets we generally agree do not correspond to a concept as
strong as a class in OWL, but SKOS's concept hierachy is basically
conceptually identical. Hence, we are using lemon not so much as a
lexicon-ontology but a lexicon-KOS.

> Howerver, for the definition or gloss, shouldn't we use lemon:definition.
> In this way, we would be using SKOS for the conceptual part and lemon for
> the lexical-linguistic part, would that be the idea? As I said, maybe I am
> missing something.

Perhaps, but lemon:definition is a sense level property and the synset
glosses are on the synset level, hence it makes more sense to use the SKOS
property.

> Finally, wouldn't it be nice to represent in the lemon:sense class that
> "to cat" is the colloquial use for vomiting? I think that since we are able
> to represent such contextual restrictions, we would really make a
> difference by doing it, don't you think so?

WordNet does have a property for this and it is exported properly, however
it seems to be missing from this synset (hence this example).

Regards,
John