Re: Issues about the semantics of the ontology-lexicon interface [was: Re: Why not to shortcut the "sense" object]

Aldo,
ok but don't take it like a tennis match .. :-)

Of course if you can elaborate the axiomatization of sense and sense
relationships in the model, then there are many solutions like yours, I
was just comparing the specific models we were discussing.

However, as part of such axiomatization, you would be expected to
introduce logical lexical relations as first order properties (as in fact
you did) and to specify, for instance, whether if <s1,synonym_of,s2>
implies that lexemes associated to s1 are available as a substitute for
those associated to s2, like if they were logically equivalent. In sum,
you would have to reconstruct a fragment of the same logic in which your
ontology is specified, and to implement part of the standard DL reasoning
as (e.g.) SPARQL queries. In sum, I want to 'transform' senses into a
full-fledged ontology (by the way, what are them 'originally'?), but you
want to reimplement logics in SPARQL!

Seriously, of course there are pros and cons in every choice, I think that
we should just draw a number of possible alternatives. I think that M2
allows a smooth exploitation of ontological axioms on the lexical side
without requiring an elaborated semiotic model. It is clear that lexical
relationships cannot be trivially mapped to logical ones and that a
complete semiotic model should probably provide an account for this. But
as far as users in concrete use cases are just interested in exploring the
relationship between existing ontologies and (mapped) lexical resources
(e.g. to discover how disjunction is reflected on antonymy), M2 is good
enough - and could be further refined, but this is for the next game :-)

Ciao,

Guido Vetere
Manager, Center for Advanced Studies IBM Italia
Rome                                     Trento
Via Sciangai 53                       Via Sommarive 18
00144 Roma, Italy                   38123 Povo in Trento, Italy
+39 (0)6 59662137                 +39 (0)461 312312

Mobile: +39 3357454658

Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@cnr.it> wrote on 23/10/2012 15:55:26:

> [...]
>   ?C1 rdfs:subClassOf ?R .
>   ?R owl:onProperty ge:partOf .
>   ?R ?quant ge:Aircraft }
>
> Now the ball passes to Guido: when should we need (b), if your use
> case is satisfied already with (a)?
>
> Ciao
> Aldo
> [attachment "guidoexample3.owl" deleted by Guido Vetere/Italy/IBM]
> On Oct 23, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Philipp Cimiano
<cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
> > wrote:
>
> Guido,
>
>  btw. a difficult question to you: how many applications would
> require subsumption reasoning between senses.
>
> I wanted to produce a very simple model, but if it turns out that
> many applications require joint reasoning over lexicon and ontology,
> then the simpler model will turn out to be inadequate.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Philipp.
>
> Am 23.10.12 12:19, schrieb Guido Vetere:
> Philipp,
>
> sorry for being late and maybe too short on this.
>
> Let's consider this use case:
>
> A user has a lexical resource L that she wants to link with a pre-
> existing ontology O. The lexical resource L doesn't specify
> meronymy, while the ontology O has contains the role 'part'.
> According to the model (the one we outlined so far), the user
> introduces an instance of Sense for each definition in L, then for
> each sense in L she finds one or more corresponding concept in O,
> and put them into a relationship (let's call it 'referTo' and let's
> keep it logically opaque for now) with the sense.
>
> The user wants to retrieve all the senses s in L related to the
> parts of a given class c in O, e.g. all the nouns corresponding to
> parts of 'aircraft' ('fuselage','wings', etc). In other words, the
> user wants to exploit the information encoded in the ontology to
> infer a 'semantic field' relative to a lexicon.
>
> Let's specify two different models:
>
> M1) Senses are instances of the class Semse, and 'referTo' is an
> object property that has domain in Sense and ranges on URIs
> corresponding to class names in O.
> With such a model, the use case this could be done in two separate
> steps: 1) retrieve all the classes whose instances may fill the the
> relationship 'part_of' with domain restricted to 'aircraft', then 2)
> use the list of retrieved classes to build a union of conjunctive
> queries over senses in L. Note that 1) would be a second order
> query; specifically, is a query over properties and their
> restrictions, which would require an approach like those described
> in: De Giacomo, Lenzerini, Rosati: On Higher-Order Description Logics.
>
> M2) Senses are subclasses of Sense, and 'referTo' is a standard
> first order property. Sense-ontology mapping is encoded in structures
like:
>         Sense_class ISA Sense AND refersTo ONLY [OntologyClass].
> Now suppose that the ontology contains:
>         Fuselage ISA part_of only Aircraft; Wing ISA part_of only
Aircraft;
> [...]

> I also prefer "representedBy" to "characterizes", because the second
> is very generic and not attested in any related literature.
>
> ---Property chaining over senses---
> Secondly, I agree with the decision to add a property chain in the
> model, which helps resolving the indirection produced by the Sense
> class: this is a good practice (a logical design pattern), used in
> many contexts. I do not see room for John's criticism about it: it
> does not increase the cognitive complexity (on the contrary, it
> facilitates the use of the model for those reluctant to catch on the
> sense-ontology-entity distinction), and the added computational
> complexity only holds when a DL reasoner materializes the ABox.
> One mild problem here might be that we are making slightly different
> assumptions when we name "representedBy" the property between senses
> and ontology entities, but "means" the property between lexical
> entries and ontology entities. Since we do not have a rich
> axiomatization behind these names, we might be pragmatic and ignore
> the problem, however I deem important to justify it a little bit in
> the documentation. In practice, this approach seems to suggest that
> senses are actually "represented" by ontology entities, and this is
> clear and intuitive. It also suggests that lexical entries actually
> "mean" ontology entities, but this is far less clear and intuitive,
> since in no obvious way words mean stuff in ontologies ? it's much
> better to say that words have conceptualizations that are
> represented in ontologies. Indeed this is the way we talk of lexical
> senses :). That's why my above suggestion was "hasOntologyEntity",
> which however I admit ti be too generic. In principle, the
> compositional name that best fits the property chain would be
> "hasSenseRepresentedByOntologyEntity", but it's way too long,
> specially for those willing to use that property as a shortcut.
> Other suggestions?
>
> ---GCIs on ontology hierarchies---
> Finally, a comment about Guido's observation that "cat#1 INSTANCEOF
> (Sense AND characterizes ONLY Animal)" is the right formalization
> for an example of the representedBy object property values. If I
> understand well, here we have two important issues. The first one
> can be solved by using OWL2, the second poses a more difficult
challenge.
> For the first issue, I think that Guido talks about OWL1, but anyway
> that axiom would give us a misinterpretation, because it would tell
> us that cat#1 is a sense that can only be represented by
> *individuals* from the class Animal, which is not what Guido wants I
> guess. This problem was described in detail by W3C SWBPD committee
> in 2004, and eventually some OWL1 solutions were recommended in the
> "Classes as values" design pattern. However, in OWL2 (lucky us)
> punning makes our lives easier, and a simple (partial!) solution is
> (in Manchester syntax) "cat#1 TYPES (Sense AND representedBy VALUE
Animal)".
> For the second issue, Guido points out that there are cases in which
> we need to refer to generic subclasses of an ontology entity (if
> it's a class): this cannot be expressed in OWL at all, since we
> cannot use the OWL vocabulary in the position for the domain
> vocabulary, In other words, the following is a wrong axiom even in
> OWL2: "cat#1 TYPES (Sense AND representedBy (subClassOf VALUE Animal)".
> A viable design pattern is to create a property for meaning
> hierarchies, in the vein of skos:broader or wordnet:hypernym, so
> that we could declare e.g.: "cat#1 TYPES (Sense AND representedBy
> ([skos:broader] VALUE Animal)".
> However, a property like skos:broader typically applies to concepts,
> and senses would probably be compatible. Much less are ontology
> entities compatible, even though SKOS seems to suggest a loose
> correspondence between concepts and rdfs/owl classes. In particular,
> we should materialize ontology class hierarchies as skos:broader
> hierarchies in order to reason over these constructs.
> Another design pattern might resort to a specialized property, such
> as "broadlyRepresentedBy", e.g.: "cat#1 TYPES (Sense AND
broadlyRepresentedBy

<stellato@info.uniroma2.it
> > wrote:
> From what I got, and hope not to be wrong (it?s useful also for me
> to clarify as I missed a couple of calls on September),
> OntologyEntity is a generic rdf:Resource of one of the main entities
> in the main vocabularies (aka: OWL and SKOS, thus: property, class,
> individual, skos concept?).
> Another question to John from my side: from your email it seemed to
> be against stating the propertyChain axiom on (means,
> <meaning,representedBy>) implying that the direct Entry ---means-->
> OntologyEntity from "Lexical Entry -> meaning -> Sense ->
> representedBy -> OntologyEntity"  but then the sentence: ?Here the
> difference is 1 named elements vs. 3 named elements, but as stated
> above, at least half of users (data consumers) will have to
> understand all 4 names...? instilled some doubt in my interpretation?
>
> Are you voting against the larger structure as a whole (thus keepingonly
the
> Entry ---means--> OntologyEntity structure), or against the
> propertyChain axiom? I really got the second, though I?m not even
> sure how adding the p.chain axiom (or not doing it) would change
> anything for the user or consumer. I?m sure I?m missing something,
> so sorry in advance for my potential misinterpretation.
> Sorry it isn't clear: the long chain is TBMK agreed upon (Lexical
> Entry -> meaning -> Sense -> representedBy -> OntologyEntity)*... we
> are questioning whether we need the short chain (Entry ---means-->
> OntologyEntity) as well. I say it is not worth it.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> * or (Word -> sense -> Sememe/Acceptation -> characterizes ->
> rdf:Resource/skos:Concept/owl:Entity) or some combination of these
terms.

> Have a nice we!
>
> Armando

URIs"?
> It does not make the model easier to understand: While, I understand
> that the sense object is nebulous and difficult per se to
> understand, I would still argue that the clearest measure of how
> easy to understand a model is, is the number of named elements it
> has (as many users may not need to deeply understand the meaning of
> a sense, but be happy to know that "translation", "antonymy" and
> "register" go there). Here the difference is 1 named elements vs. 3
> named elements, but as stated above, at least half of users (data
> consumers) will have to understand all 4 names... if we assume out
> of the producers 70% do not need to represent senses (and thus any
> associated properties, "translation", "antonymy", "register") then
> the average number of links a user will need to understand is 4 × 0.
> 5 + 3 × 0.5 × 0.3 + 1 × 0.5 × 0.7 = 2.8... so it makes the model all
> of 7% easier to understand! Worse, this figure is overgenerous as: I
> expect there to more data consumers than producers and I expect at
> least 50% of users to require sense modelling.
> Regards,
> John
>
> IBM Italia S.p.A.
> Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI)
> Cap. Soc. euro 347.256.998,80
> C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
> Societą con unico azionista
> Societą soggetta all?attivitą di direzione e coordinamento di
> International Business Machines Corporation
>
> (Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)

> IBM Italia S.p.A.
> Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI)
> Cap. Soc. euro 347.256.998,80
> C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
> Societą con unico azionista
> Societą soggetta all?attivitą di direzione e coordinamento di
> International Business Machines Corporation
>
> (Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)

> --
> Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
> Semantic Computing Group
> Excellence Cluster - Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)
> University of Bielefeld
>
> Phone: +49 521 106 12249
> Fax: +49 521 106 12412
> Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
>
> Room H-127
> Morgenbreede 39
> 33615 Bielefeld[attachment "senses.pdf" deleted by Guido
Vetere/Italy/IBM]