Re: discussion about meaning and senses

Philipp,

thank you, I enjoy this discussion very much too, hope that continuing it
some more can be useful for our work.

I'm pretty sure that, normally, there are ontological commitments in our
words, the problem is that it is not always clear what kind of commitments
they are, and whether you can take for granted that linguistic agents
always share the very same set of commitments. For this reason, many
philosophers have argued that natural language is (let's say)
'ontologically opaque' (see W.V.O.Quine, Ontological Relativity and Other
Essays, 1969). So, I think that either we embrace a sort of 'naive
realism' by claiming that, on the contrary, lexical senses convey clear,
shared and transparent ontological commitments (i.e. if I say 'bald' then
there are plainly 'bald things'), or we should keep lexical senses
carefully separated from (and yet somehow related to) the kind of
ontological distinctions a linguist wants to adopt, which is what Senso
Comune advocates and implements.

Note that nothing prevents ontological categories to match linguistic
senses (in fact, this is quite common), but this cannot be the rule, since
there are ontological distinctions which are not necessarily captured in
ordinary languages, e.g. 'abstract' vs. 'non-spatio-temporal-particular'
in DOLCE. On the other hand, if you push everything you can say into an
ontology, you could end up accepting the reality of 'square circles' much
as Meinong did. This should suffice, in my view, for opting in favour of a
conceptual distinction between linguistic senses and ontological
categories. This does not necessarily mean that we should adopt different
formal languages for senses and categories respectively, or that is anyhow
impossible to mix ontology and lexicon in the very same resource
(actually, this is usual in ICT ontologies). It's a completely different
question, I think. Modelling a linguistic sense in OWL would not promote
it to the status of ontological category more than UML would make the
distinction of 'object' from 'event' a software artifact.

It is easy to see that by modelling linguistic senses as a distinct kind
of objects, which reify the relation between expressions and references to
(classes of) objects of experience or thoughts, one ends up implementing
something similar to a 'semiotic triangle', whose vertexes stand for,
roughly, Expressions, Senses, and Things. Ontological categories lead to a
(crisp) partitioning of the set of Things that you allow in the logical
Universe, while Senses (which may be part of the Universe) can be related
the one another (e.g. inclusion, disjunction, relatedness) to model
linguistic intuitions. Note that Senses do not require a definite
extensional interpretation over the whole Universe.

Hope that this helps and makes sense.

Cheers,

Guido Vetere
Manager, Center for Advanced Studies IBM Italia
Rome                                     Trento
Via Sciangai 53                       Via Sommarive 18
00144 Roma, Italy                   38123 Povo in Trento, Italy
+39 (0)6 59662137                 +39 (0)461 312312

Mobile: +39 3357454658

Philipp Cimiano <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote on 24/08/2012
12:04:18: