From: Chum, Frank Y
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:33 PM
To: public-ogsw@w3.org
Cc: Ivan Herman; Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Subject: First draft - Mission for O&G Semantic Web Interest Group

Mission

The mission of the Oil & Gas Industry Semantic Web Interest Group, as
part of the W3C Semantic Web Activity <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/> , is
to develop, advocate for, and support the use of Semantic Web
technologies for Oil & Gas exploration and production, reservoir
management, major capital projects, facility and downstream operations,
as well as knowledge and information management.  These domains stand to
gain tremendous benefit by adoption of Semantic Web technologies, as
they depend on the interoperability of information from many domains and
processes for efficient decision support.

The group will:

*         Document use cases to aid individuals in understanding the
business and technical benefits of using Semantic Web technologies.

*         Advocate the inclusion of industry standards to accelerate the
adoption of the technology.

*         Implement a selection of the use cases as proof-of-concept
demonstrations.

*         Explore the possibility of developing sharable high level
vocabularies, or adopt those that are industry standards.

*         Disseminate information about the group's work at industry,
academic, and government events.

Note that I have modeled this after the recently updated W3C Semantic
Web Health Care and Life Sciences (HCLS) Interest Group's
<http://www.w3.org/blog/hcls/2009/03/01/>  mission.

As Roger and I are proposing this under the auspices of W3C, we need to
discuss the appropriate participation guidelines also.

Your thoughts?

Frank