Re: A clarification on odrl:duty

> On 23 Feb 2016, at 19:01, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:
> Reading your last sentence, I guess one reason why I was puzzled was that in my mind (and I believe in some of my colleague at DWBP) the offer for data access is free, so there's not much to refund or to compensate for, if the uptime condition is not met. This made the connection between the Permission and the Duty intuitively much looser.

Don’t worry too much in my example of the refund…it was just an example ;-)

The question you need to ask is…is there an *obligation* on the assigner to provide this level of quality service to the assignee?

> I find it slightly counter-intuitive that there's no default that assumes a ('continuous') Duty MUST start "prior to the permission" for the permission to be valid. But well at least this clarification alleviates my worries about our example, now.

We (purposely) left that open (hence the added statement about Duties) - as we did not want to imply that all use cases of ODRL “enforce" the Duty before the permission. However, a Profile can override that and may make it the default case.

> In case you'll be interested in cases for the next version of ODRL, I've put the example on a page at
> https://www.w3.org/community/odrl/wiki/W3C_Data_on_the_Web_Best_Practices_-_Data_Quality_Policy

Great..that could turn into a useful NOTE between the two W3C WGs ;-)

Renato