Re: ODRL JSON-LD examples (was Re: ODRL Version 2.1 Final Draft Specifications )

On 1/21/15 2:09 PM, Lucinda Lewis wrote:
> Who will sit on the nest? Time will tell...

Yes. Though my own hunch is that some things are coming to a head now
that will dictate future directions. Generally I think those things
are positive.

Just today the link I've copied below arrived on the Web Payments
list, from Stephane Boyera at W3C, for a paper by Gavin Chait, which
makes a powerful case that identity underlies it all, worldwide, and
that blockchain technology can solve it for us right now.

I add to this the fact that the Web Payments group, after much
discussion, decided that credentials--ie identity--underlies the
ability of a universal open web payments system to succeed, and have
created a Credentials community group for that purpose. They also are
increasingly discussing the blockchain, both as a solution for money
and as a solution for identity.

IMO this directly concerns ODRL because ODRL attempts to deal with
aspects of money -- unlike Creative Commons, say. So ODRL, in a sense,
has entered this same playing field and is subject to the same rules:
the hard problem of secure money transfers, which appears to rest on
identity for a solution.

This could mean both that ODRL must wait for these other levels to be
solved before it can proceed universally, and that when it's needed it
will be an important last piece in a large-scale change and hence will
be adopted suddenly and quickly when its time comes.

"Love has finally called for me, I will not wilt upon its stage." --
Ferron. :-)

http://figshare.com/articles/Distributed_crypto_identity_as_a_mechanism_for_legal_empowerment_of_the_poor_and_stimulating_local_economic_development/1292895

Le 22/01/2015 15:19, Stephane Boyera a écrit :
 > Hi,
 >
 > I wanted to share an interesting article a friend of mine just
published
 > about "Distributed crypto identity as a mechanism for legal empowerment
 > of the poor and stimulating local economic development"
 > There are interesting ideas from my perspective.
 >
 > comments welcome!
 > Cheers
 > steph

Steven R.