Re: Version 2.1 spec URLs

On  2015-Feb-09, at 11:08, Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com> wrote:

> Mo, are you saying we could have these canonical (always latest) spec URIs:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/model

>  http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/vocab

>  http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/xml

>  http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/json

>  http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/owl

> That would redirect to the version-specific URIs for each spec:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/model/2.1/

>  http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/vocab/2.1/

>  http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/xml/2.1/

>  http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/json/2.1/

>  http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2.1/

We could do something *like* that, if it were desirable.

At the moment, there are no redirects in place - it’s all static URIs and content negotiation, but adding redirects for the model, vocab, etc., wouldn’t be hard. Ideally the XML and JSON would have their machine-readable versions published consistently with the OWL, but where the human-facing counterparts live is obviously a little different, and there’s probably scope for redirects there.

More immediately useful (though not mutually exclusive) might be modifying the template which generates /ns/odrl/2/ to prominently link to the equivalent versions of the specifications for the model, vocab, XML & JSON encodings.

The /ns/odrl/2/owl would be pointless, as would /ns/odrl/2.1/ - as if 2.1 is the current version, you get it by going to /ns/odrl/2/.

[[ For background:

$ curl -I -H 'Accept: text/html' http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/

HTTP/1.1 200 OK