RE: Namespace of ODRL

I've strongly promoted two different namespaces for the ODRL structure and
the vocabularies prior to the release of version 2.0, the reasons are:

-          At least I hope that the ODRL structure will be quite stable,
therefore the definition of terms in this namespace will be stable and thus
a list of all members of this namespace will be stable.

-          The vocabulary will be (and should) be more lively, integrating
new requirements. And it could be managed much easier by having a distinct
namespace: it should be possible to access the namespace URL and get a list
of all terms of the vocabulary. Doing the same for a unified URL one would
get a mix of structure elements and vocabulary terms - not easy to sort out.

-          This split could also be understood that http://w3.org/ns/odrl/2/
is the namespace for RDF predicates while http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#
<http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab>  is the namespace for RDF objects.

Re alapan: changing only a single character of a namespaces means changing
the namespace. Therefore http://w3.org/ns/odrl/2/2012-04-28/ is different
from http://w3.org/ns/odrl/2/2013-07-04/ - and I've never seen another way
to version a namespace.

And what I've learned about namespace maintenance: change them only if there
is a very strong need for that as it makes many things incompatible, many
processor not working anymore etc.

Michael

Michael Steidl

Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@iptc.org]

Web:  <http://www.iptc.org/> www.iptc.org - on Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/IPTC> @IPTC

Business office address:

25 Southampton Buildings, London WC2A 1AL, United Kingdom

Registered in England, company no 101096