Re: Open Data Rights Statements

On 2 Jul 2013, at 18:23, Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com> wrote:

> At the UK Open Data Institute we've been working on some guidance and
> a new vocabulary to help support the publication of machine-readable
> rights statements for open data. The vocabulary builds on existing
> work in this area (e.g. Dublin Core and Creative Commons) but
> addresses a few issues that we felt were underspecified.

Hi Leigh, as previously raised, the ODRL Policy Language is a general framework for rights that we have been developing since 2000.
It has an Core Model that provides the fundamentals for expressing rights statements [1], and extensive Vocabulary [2], and encodings in XML [3], JSON [4], RDF/OWL [5].

One clarification that I do have is the relation between odrs:RightsStatement and odrs:License.
They both seem to contain "terms for re-use"?

As an example using the ODRL Model, such terms of use as "attribution" (which are properties from the odrs:RightStatement) are modeled as an odrl:Duty (ie an Obligation on the assignee of the License)

The ODRL Community would be happy to work closely with the TheODI to further this work collaboratively.

Cheers

Renato Iannella
Chair, W3C ODRL Community Group.
[1] http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/two/model/