Re: ODRL Teleconference NOTES

Hi all,

On Thu 2013-Apr-18, at 13:44, Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com> wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2013, at 01:33, Michael Steidl (IPTC) <mdirector@iptc.org> wrote:
>
>> ... and adding SKOS specific annotations:- making the ODRL vocab a SKOS vocab:
>> <http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#> rdf:type skos:ConceptScheme;
>> - making the ODRL terms SKOS concepts:
>> e.g. <http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#acceptTracking> rdf:type skos:Concept;
>> - making ODRL terms members of the ODRL vocab:
>> e.g. <http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#acceptTracking> skos:inScheme
>> <http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#>;
>
> Does not sound too hard to add these annotations...I have found one editor (TopBraid Composer) that supports SKOS easily....

Hmm, a SKOS concept scheme and a vocabulary are not really equivalent terms unless you want to get so incredibly existential about it that we begin to question if we are all actually abstract entities represented in an n-dimensional space… so I'm not sure it's appropriate to define the vocab as being both a scheme and a vocabulary, with *some* of the things being concepts within that scheme (and defining everything in the vocab as being a concept would be clearly wrong).

To my mind it'd make more sense to define :Action, :Scope, :UndefinedTerm and :ConflictTerm as distinct concept schemes with the individuals being concepts within those schemes.

But, like everything, I'm willing to be swayed!

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,

--
Mo McRoberts - Analyst - BBC Archive Development,
Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA,

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.