Re: Encoding of ODRL in JSON

Hi Jonas,

On Fri 2013-Apr-05, at 19:45, Jonas Öberg <jonas@shuttleworthfoundation.org>
wrote:

> Let's say for instance that we create a Profile that introduces the concept of a fiduciary Role. It doesn't feel appropriate to express this as
>
> "fiduciary" : " http://example.com/sony:10"
>
> as this risks collisions with other Profiles.
>
> It's entirely possible that my thinking here is off, so I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on this and would be happy to incorporate this thinking in the draft once we agree on the appropriate route!

It was exactly this issue which made expressing RDF in JSON was so troublesome for a long time; you either ended up being very ambiguous and risking clashes or misinterpretation, or you were too verbose and nobody wanted to work with the data. JSON-LD was created to try to bridge that gap, and (though I wasn't involved in it at all) I think it manages to do that quite neatly.

Maybe there's a way, even if one doesn't actually use JSON-LD (which might be worth exploring anyway, of course), that its approach could be borrowed? i.e., specify that the JSON expression of ODRL references a 'context' document (published on w3.org alongside the other vocabs) which contains the necessary information to map the short-and-friendly names to the fully-qualified ones?

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,

--
Mo McRoberts - Analyst - BBC Archive Development,
Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA,

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.