Re: ODRL RDF expression

Hi Michael,

On Fri 2013-Apr-05, at 15:47, "Michael Steidl (IPTC)" <mdirector@iptc.org>
 wrote:

> Hi Stuart and Mo,
>
> The code at
> http://lodscope.parthenon.org.uk/index.xmp?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fptah.bencrannich
> .net%2F2013%2FUNSTABLE%2Fvocab isn't really XMP - it has the XMP wrapper,
> but everything inside <rdf:RDF> does not comply with the XMP specs.
> The biggest drawback of XMP is that it is very weak in using a Subject (of
> an RDF triple) which is not "this asset" (the image, the PDF document, the
> ...), therefore it is actually impossible to define an ODRL policy in an XMP
> packet and to make assertions about this policy. My conclusion: it is
> impossible to express ODRL in native XMP.

I'm inclined to agree. That XMP is autogenerated by Redland librdf, but obviously it only "works" if what you're putting in fits within the limited XMP model.

> Therefore we discussed IPTC-internally the linking to an ODRL policy
> document which is e.g. on a central "policy server" = what you, Mo,
> proposed.
> But not everybody is happy with this approach, the main contra is: a user
> cannot read the policy without internet access and a working policy server.
> And some are still behind the approach: embedded metadata define "this
> metadata belong to this content" in the most obvious and reliable way.
> For that approach we were discussing to embed ODRL serialized as XML or JSON
> into a XMP field of data type Text.

That could work — indeed, one could embed 'real' RDF inside XMP in that fashion, and there *might* even be scope for a broader piece of work around semi-standardising that as a general mechanism (rather than an ODRL-specific one).

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Analyst - BBC Archive Development,
Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA,

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.