Re: ODRL RDF expression

On Thu 2013-Apr-04, at 05:09, Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com> wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2013, at 00:27, Mo McRoberts <mo.mcroberts@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've made a first attempt at expressing the ODRL common vocabulary and core model as RDF (with a little — although not very much — OWL sprinkled over it for interop).
>
> Mo, great work, and thanks ;-)
>
>> [Discussion of the finer points of the RDF expression follows...]
>>
>> Constraint is defined as a class which consists of operator, rightOperand and status properties. However, the rightOperand property is intended to be abstract (i.e., not actually used in practice), and the various types of constraint are sub-properties of rightOperand.\\
>
> We have small update to the Constraint class [1] - we have added "dataType" and "unit" attributes.

I suspect dataType can be handled "transparently" through typed literals for the right operand, while "unit" can be an additional property.

> Also, for the Vocab [2], we have added a new "license" term.

No problem, I can roll that in.

>> ... is expressed as an RDF instance in the form ...
>>
>> a v:Constraint ;
>> v:operator v:lteq ;
>> v:count 1 .
>
> That looks nicer.
>
>> Within the policy, I've defined the permission and prohibition properties to have a range of v:Action *or* m:Permission and m:Prohibition (respectively), to allow simplified expression. Thus, you can say:
>
> Great.
>
>> Finally, as will be evident in the examples, the relationship between a policy and an asset it relates to has been left quite "loose"; rather than have a concrete relationship between a policy and the asset, I've left this effectively undefined but employed the dct:license predicate (from the Dublin Core Metadata Terms) to relate the asset to the policy in line with fairly common practice elsewhere.
>
> So there is no property from the Policy to the Asset?

Not directly — however, one can relate from a Permission or Prohibition to the Asset (e.g., using v:target), or express the reverse relationship using DC.

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Analyst - BBC Archive Development,
Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA,

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.