RE: News industry requirement: action "license"

Hi Renato,

rights are a tricky thing:

-          "Agreement" as Policy Type is ok as it defines to reflect that
two or more parties have agreed on something = a mutual consent by the
involved parties. And this is a concept which is relevant in the context of
law. But it does not include on what has been agreed.

-          Many of the terms of the Action vocabulary are about what exactly
has been agreed on = pinning down the "something".

-          As I have also some practical business experience with news
exchange in Central Europe I know that law, or at least the courts, in this
region make a clear difference between selling a good and licensing a good -
as explained in my initial email: selling = all of the good, regardless if
tangible or intangible, and all related rights are transferred from one
party to another, a 1:1 transfer; while "licensing" = a copy of the tangible
manifestation of the good and only limited rights to use it are transferred,
if this is not an exclusive license (as for most real-world cases) it could
be a 1:n transfer. (Aside: a key dispute was about software: what Microsoft
etc. did was not understood as selling but as licensing.)

I hope this makes the background of this issue a bit clearer.

Michael