RE: Updated ODRL in JSON DRAFT

That's the way these kinds of plans go, I know...

Ø  2 - Update the XML Encoding to use the same URIs from the ODRL Ontology [2]

Ø  (this includes uppercase changes to the XML Schema, such as <policy> to <Policy>)

Oh - I don't recall that ever being discussed. Did I miss it? It is a pretty large change. For example, all of the examples that we've compiled on the IPTC website use the current XML syntax and element names:

http://dev.iptc.org/RightsML-Simple-Example-An-Action

Ø  In the *long term* the ODRL Ontology will become our normative specification, so using the same URIs now in the other encodings will save us some grief ;-)

I can certainly see that using the same URIs makes sense. But there is also the question of backwards compatibility. It is one thing to be able to change the URL scheme for vocabulary values, but it is quite another to alter the element and attribute names in XML. For example, the current RightsML examples use the current XML encoding spec:

<o:policy uid="http://example.com/RightsML/policy/idActionPrint1"
 type="http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#set"
 xmlns:o="http://w3.org/ns/odrl/2/">
   <o:permission>
      <o:asset uid="urn:newsml:example.com:20090101:120111-999-000022"
       relation="http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#target"/>
      <o:action name="http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#print"/>
      <o:party uid="http://example.com/cv/party/epa"
       function="http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#assigner"/>
      <o:party uid="http://example.com/cv/policy/group/epapartners"
       function="http://w3.org/ns/odrl/vocab#assignee"/>
   </o:permission>
</o:policy>

It is relatively simple to instead use the Ontology URLs for vocabulary items:

<o:policy uid="http://example.com/RightsML/policy/idActionPrint1"
 type="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/set"
 xmlns:o="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/">
   <o:permission>
      <o:asset uid="urn:newsml:example.com:20090101:120111-999-000022"
       relation="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/target"/>
      <o:action name="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/print"/>
      <o:party uid="http://example.com/cv/party/epa"
       function="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/assigner"/>
      <o:party uid="http://example.com/cv/policy/group/epapartners"
       function="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/assignee"/>
   </o:permission>
</o:policy>

The two are essentially equivalent - just different URL schemes and easy for a parse to support both, for example.

However, altering the element and attribute names means that they are totally different schemas:

<o:Policy Uid="http://example.com/RightsML/policy/idActionPrint1"
 Type="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/set"
 xmlns:o="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/">
   <o:Permission>
      <o:Asset Uid="urn:newsml:example.com:20090101:120111-999-000022"
       Relation="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/target"/>
      <o:Action Name="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/print"/>
      <o:Party Uid="http://example.com/cv/party/epa"
       Function="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/assigner"/>
      <o:Party Uid="http://example.com/cv/policy/group/epapartners"
       Function="http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/assignee"/>
   </o:Permission>
</o:Policy>

(I'm guessing the attribute names would need to be different, too. However, hopefully the above illustrates my point).

Regards,

Stuart