Re: Generic permissions and prohibitions

Hi,

Yes - we discussed this a number of years ago; and I also had a paper on
the logical model around permissions and prohibitions [1].

The problem arises because there is a difference between the license (as
expressed in ODRL) and the interpreter that enforces the license. There are
three sets of actions:
a) Actions that are explicitly permitted
b) Actions that are explicitly prohibited
c) Actions that are not specified

For the last set, this can be broken to two further classes:
i) Actions that are not specified but in the dictionary of defined possible
actions
ii) Actions that are not specified and also not in the dictionary of
defined possible actions

My basic proposal was that, on interpretation of the license, the
enforcement should be on the basis of:
1) Permit - a and c (ii)
2) Prohibit b and c(i)

This should be specified as one of the requirements of the
interpretor/enforcement engine. Perhaps this should be added as part of the
ODRL specs also?

Regards,
Alapan

[1]: Arnab, Alapan and Andrew Hutchison (2007) Persistent Access Control: A
Formal Model for DRM. In *Proceedings Seventh ACM Workshop on Digital
Rights Management (ACM-DRM).* Non paywall link:
http://pubs.cs.uct.ac.za/archive/00000411/

Blog: http://idiots-mind.blogspot.com/
Life's a gamble - take a chance