Re: Web NFC API, Draft Community Group Report

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Anders Rundgren <
anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>  5. Security and Privacy Considerations
>
> User agents must not provide Web NFC API access to web apps without the
> expressed permission of the user. User agents must acquire consent for
> permission through a user interface for each call to the methods of this
> API, unless a prearranged trust relationship applies.
>
> User agents may support prearranged trust relationships that do not
> require such per-request user interfaces.
>
> ------
>
> I'm probably naive and my knowledge of NFC is indeed not that great, but I
> don't see that writing NDEF records to NFC would necessarily require any
> security prompts.  A short "flash" like in Android saying "NFC data is
> available" should (IMO) be sufficient.
>
> Regarding adapter selection, I would remove that from APIs exposed to the
> "Open Web" and for the extremely rare situation that there are actually are
> multiple adapters, leave that choice to the user.
>
> *Generally I think user-side NFC and server-side NFC should live in
> different specs, even if NFC in itself is "symmetric".  User-side NFC may
> be performed by native applications and doesn't necessary have a
> web-interface at all.*

There is a separate document on this [1], some of the threats are described
there. It would be great if you'd give feedback on this doc.
I am planning an update with a second implementation possibility, landing
soon (alternative to Section 8).

[1] http://w3c.github.io/web-nfc/security-privacy.html

Best regards,
Zoltan