Re: draft charter for a W3C NFC working group

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 17:45:07 +0100
To: Samuel Ortiz <sameo@linux.intel.com>
CC: Stephen Tiedemann <tiedemann@sony.de>, public-nfc@w3.org
On 10/05/12 17:44, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for starting this effort.
>
> I would argue with the fact that LLCP is not widely supported. Android,
> Symbian, Linux and probably Win8 do support it.
>
> As Stephen noted, LLCP services map really well to a socket model, which is
> why we implemented them as native sockets in the Linux kernel. So using Web
> Sockets would make sense, in my opinion.
>
> I think you can safely assume that you will only get NDEFs through an SNEP or
> NPP LLCP service, so you can use them to read and write NDEFs from/to an NFC
> device.
> You have no guarantee about the kind of LLCP payload you will get from any
> other LLCP service (except for the TCP and OBEX bound ones).
> In other words, I think it would make sense to provide an LLCP sockets API in
> order to allow non SNEP use cases to be implemented as web apps.

Thanks for the feedback. I expect we will need to collect use cases to
motivate the specification design work. I think MessageChannel is
simpler to cater for than WebSockets for NFC as a Web API, and further
discussion would be valuable. I have added a question on this to the
draft charter. I am looking forward to hearing from browser developers
on their views on LLCP and card emulation.