Re: [wedbidl] stalled..

Hi Brandon,

(Quick note to all: I've also restarted working on this too, will PR some code soon - using it for prollyfill of Telephony API. I think I have a good idea of how it can be used for general prollyfills now.)

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Brandon Satrom wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm pretty new to the group and just saw this thread while poking around in the list's history. I'd love to help out with WebIdl.js where I can, but I'm not sure I know the best place to start. Any suggestions on quick ways I could help out while learning my way around things?

That's great to hear! We need two things right now:

 1. code reviews
 2. implementation of the types.

For code reviews, just open up the issues tracker and find anything labelled with "needs review":
https://github.com/extensibleweb/webidl.js/issues?state=open

Code reviews are good as a starting point, because at least you get to know the code base. All types files are pretty small, so you can probably review them fairly quickly. It's not the most glamorous task, but it's really critical for the success of the project.

If you want to code stuff, I would start by having a look at the WebIDL types:
https://github.com/extensibleweb/webidl.js/tree/master/lib/types

An easy example to start with is Date:
https://github.com/extensibleweb/webidl.js/blob/master/lib/types/Date.js

The way we code them is like this:

0. Fork repo.
1. we put in the standard stuff needed by require.js (define(), require(WebIDL) and so on)
2. we copy the definition of a type from the WebIDL spec into the text editor (e.g., 3.10.25. Date).
3. Then we find the binding for that type in WebIDL, for example: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-Date
4. We copy the algorithm from above into the spec, and we code around it to exactly match the spec says (i.e., no optimizations or anything fancy at this point).
5. create tests. See date tests: https://github.com/extensibleweb/webidl.js/blob/master/test/WebIDL.Date-tests.js
6. send pull request - if you want to send a PR before you are done for review, that is cool too.

We are still working on finishing off the types, so it would be great if you could grab a type that is not done as a starting point.

Right now, it's pretty straight forward.

If you get stuck, please email me or you can find me (marcosc) on irc:
irc.w3.org:6667 #nextweb channel

Hope that helps!