Re: Blog post for review

On 11/06/2013 23:22 , Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> with that I mean ... I don't care about Promises as much as I'd like to
> see Push Notification concretely implemented cross browser for real Web
> Apps plus all lower level hardware access FirefoxOS has that W3C is not
> even mentioning.
>
> These are things needed but unfortunately these things cannot be polyfilled.

Low-level stuff is hard to polyfill for general usage, but you can still
polyfill it as a way to figure out how it needs to work. I don't believe
any of this has been released, but I've seen several people provide APIs
to low-level stuff by polyfilling the API and talking to a localhost
Node service that actually carries out the action. Definitely imperfect
and certainly not practical for deployed usage, but still valuable.

One brick that I would consider important in this is Web Intents (or
whatever evolution thereof). It makes it possible to connect an
arbitrary user-selected service to an application. It is useful in this
context because a number of platform services can also be exposed as
remote services. To take an example, an API to interact with a user's
contacts could use an online service just as well as one provided by the
browser to the local address book. This makes it possible to introduce
services without browser support, but that can be enhanced by it when it
comes.

I'd like to rekindle the work that was done in that area but in an as
trimmed-down as possible manner, possibly that can be (partially)
polyfilled. I'm happy to discuss it here if ever there's interest.