Re: Blog post for review

On 11/06/2013 22:44 , Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> forgot to answer: yes, looks good .. but does W3C actually follow this
> manifesto? I hope this group is meant like that and able to make things
> snappier for real, in terms of delivering.

In general, removing browsers from the critical path to innovation has
long been a clear goal. Note that this is not because we hate browser
vendors and want to eat their guts with pepper and a touch of garlic for
brunch, but precisely for the reasons outlined in the manifesto: it
broadens the innovation base, it allows to experiment safely.

In fact, at the workshop on web applications ten years ago (sic) some of
us argued that it would be best if the browser only provided low-level
primitives such as graphics, networking, a stylable DOM, indication of
basic semantics (à la ARIA). Developers would then implement on top of
that so as not to worry over the bickering between SVG and canvas, HTML
and XML, etc. and just voted with their feet in a way that would lead to
standardisation of the commonly used parts (for purposes of optimisation).

This was considered impractical at the time (it probably was) even
though a subset of those ideas was worked on as RCC/sXBL/XBL2/and friends.

So I wouldn't worry about people agreeing to this (excellent) manifesto.
The hard part is implementation (on humans). Developers need to realise
that this is now a path to standardisation as part of the common
platform, and working groups need to be proactive in deploying this
approach.